Friday, May 19, 2006

OK, changing the subject quickly to the Da Vinci Code

This strikes me as being deliberately provocative:

Earlier in the day, Sir Ian accused the "powerful" people condemning The Da Vinci Code movie of snobbery towards cinema-goers, and said he thought the Catholic Church would like the film's central idea, that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, because it offered proof that Jesus was not gay.

The actor admitted that after he read Dan Brown's best-selling book he thought it was "codswallop".

Sir Ian said: "When I read the book I believed it entirely. I thought Leigh Teabing had answered his case very convincingly indeed.

"When I put the book down I thought 'What a load of potential codswallop'.
"That's still going on in my mind. But I'm very happy to believe that Jesus was married.

"I know that the Catholic Church has problems with gay people and I thought that this was absolute truth that Jesus was not gay."

Where in the world does one begin with this type quote? This actor demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what the Catholic church believes. If you lacked even a superficial understanding of a topic, don't you think you would keep your mouth shut? Here is what comes to mind when you hear something like this:
Proverbs 13:16 In everything the prudent acts with knowledge, but a fool flaunts his folly

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Proverbs 18:2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honor for a man to keep aloof from strife, but every fool will be quarreling.
I think that we all need to keep that last one in mind before we post.

I truly believe this guy sees that this movie is going to bomb and he is deliberately trying to stir things up so that there will be some kind of an interest in it when it opens.

I loved this part at the end:
A nun seen at the festival earlier in the day sparked speculation that she was going to protest against the film.
See, the press can't wait to jump on even the slightest bit of controversy. So, silly.

If you know of anyone like this who is convinced by the book or movie, you might want to hit the Westminster Da Vinci apologetic website to prepare to show them that the arguments presented in the book do not hold up when you examine them.

(Link to article via Drudge Report)

Updated to add the link to the article.