Monday, March 06, 2006

Humble musings

I was listening to the radio while driving my girls home from school today and they were interviewing this woman, a well known evangelist and author, and something she said some things that just didn't sit right with me.

Like, "God is sending us, meaning us Christians, wake up calls- like Katrina and 9/11 to wake up the church." She was using Isaiah as an example of a person who "looked up" or woke up and became one of the greatest prophets of the OT. Huh? I don't get it. Is God trying to get our attention? Is that why natural and terrorist disasters happen? That's what she was saying.

What do you think?

Another thing she said is "God loves all homosexuals, adulterers and fornicators." He loves everybody. As a Calvinist, I know/believe that God loves those whom His Son redeemed, the elect.
So my question is: Does God love those who aren't redeemed or in other words the reprobate? Do we have the right to say that "God loves you" to everyone? If God truly loved everyone, then why would anyone go to hell?

As I sit here posting this, I think what it really comes down to is recognizing that ancient heresy known as Arminianism. That's why it didn't sit well with me. Half the battle, I think, is in the recognition of these half-truths.

I know this is provocative, but these are just some of the questions that me, a humble sinner was wondering about today.