Sunday, January 22, 2006

Welcome to Me!

Okay, I've finally found my way to Reformed Chicks Blabbing.
So far I've only really seen one Reformed Chick blabbing, so I guess I'd better jump on in. I have so many incredibly deep and provocative thoughts simmering around in my brain that I just don't know where to start. Which one would you like first?

How about this?
Tomorrow I will be 40 years old. 40 years old. How funny, because I still feel like I'm 22. I guess that's a sure sign of old age, huh?
It's very interesting because I'm finding that women who are 10 or more years older than I am assure me that I'm still very young and that "it doesn't start going downhill" for at least another 10 years. Just today my neighbor told me that she didn't start "going downhill" until her last birthday. I am, naturally far too polite to ask her just how old that might be, but I know that she's well into her 60's. Another friend tells me that I am now olllllld. She's about 3 years older, by the way.

I am really not bothered by this age business. It's just another year. Just another age. Just another notch on my lipstick case. One thing that's weird about age, though is that once again I find myself at this artificial sort of milestone and I find myself lacking. Things are not the way I thought they would be. But then again, one thing I've learned lo these many years is that nothing ever is. Some things are better than I had expected. But I also realize that my Cinderella dreams have to some extent popped like the bubbles in her wash tub.
And that's kind of okay too. Those were idealized, romanticized dreams. My dreams at 40 are far more realistic: a clean house, an empty basket where the laundry pile once was, new living room furniture, a lovely vacation, having my husband praise me in the gates and my children rise up and call me blessed. There are others too, but they are none of your business! Hey, cool, that's one fun thing about being an old lady! :)

So here's to me. And here's to another year of life. And here's to the knowledge that I am living the life that Christ had planned for me from eternity. And that, to quote the common parlance, is all good.