Saturday, July 21, 2007

How much do you know about Food Stamps?

I recently started working at a local supermarket as a cashier. No big deal, just a few nights a week to help stretch out the old budgetary dollars, you know?
I have learned many things during my short tenure, some of them pretty disturbing and even downright infuriating.

Did you know that people can use government issued Food Stamps to buy prepared food?
Did you know that they can purchase soda, chips, and all manner of junk?
Did you know that they can purchase freshly steamed crab legs and jumbo shrimp?
Were you aware that their "EBT" card is a debit card, and they can legally take out cash beyond the price of their purchase? For instance, they can say "And I'd like an extra $20."

"Whaaaaaaat???" you say.
"You betcha" I reply.

There is no way that the average American knows about this. I took an informal poll of people I know (all of whom are well read, literate, news-readers) and none of them were aware of these things, especially the last one.

What to do? I don't know. I guess maybe we can get Rush or Laura or Sean to start talking about it. No use in calling local politicians because I guarantee you that none of them have the garbanzos to take on an issue like this.

I'll have more to say as time goes on, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. What do you think? Are you as disgusted as I am?