Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ignorance is not bliss

"There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death" Proverbs 16:25

I just opened up my township's summer enrichment program catalog....this is a social studies class being offered for grades 3-5. Here's the description:
Ancient Greece
"Students will learn about Greek and Roman mythology, history of Greece and the Ancient Olympics. Students will use the knowledge they have gained to create their own "god". They will compose a written description about the physcial features and powers of their "god" and then use clay to create a statue of their character."

Now don't get me wrong, I realize that this is what the bible talks about when it says, "Professing to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man..." (Romans 1:22-23); so I'm not surprised by this, really. It just confirms to me that "there is nothing new under the sun" because this has been going on since the wilderness of Sinai.

But it has helped me to see just how gracious the Lord is to open my eyes to the darkness that surrounds me. Don't you sometimes get lulled into a state of complacency when it comes to proclaiming the gospel? I do. This is a wake-up call to me. What are we doing to "proclaim the excellences of Him who rescued you from the domain of darkness and transferred you into the kingdom of His beloved Son" (Colossians 1:13) ? People have no idea that this type of class is blasphemous to a holy God. They have no idea they are under the dominion of sin. I know it's the Holy Spirit's job to convict sinners of their need for a Savior, but we need to arm ourselves with the sword of the Spirit as we live in this world. We need to "prepare our minds for action" (1Peter 1:13). That's why we need to constantly "renew our minds" (Romans 12:2) in His word. What the world offers is death, we should never forget this.

BTW, the cost for the class is $240!!