Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fred Thompson on Abortion

Ah Ha! The smoking gun, as it were. Here is video of Thompson during a debate on abortion.




Just so you know my bona fides on this subject: I'm a Christian who believes that life begins at conception and I've been pro-life since I was a teenager and realized that it was legal for a mother to kill her baby in her womb. This seemed incredibly wrong to me and I still believe that to this day.

But I have to tell you that I hold a very similar position to Fred Thompson. I believe that Roe v. Wade was judicial overreach and bad law. I also believe that eventually it will be overturned and when that happens it will be up to the states to determine what they will do. That is where I want to fight this battle. I don't believe this to be a federal issue, it will be easier for us to get it criminalized in a number of states (at least we will be able to get it restricted significantly in most of them) because we can organize easier at the state level than at the federal level and being organized at the state level, we are better equipped to offer assistance to those in need.

Thompson made his view of the federal government clear when he blogged about his vote on tort reform, why should we be surprised that he would view this issue in the same way? He doesn't believe it falls under the jurisdiction of the federal government, it should be handled by the states. Aren't the states the ones who issue licenses to doctors? Aren't they better equipped to handle the regulation of the doctors in their state? Aren't they already doing that now?

I agree with Bill Hobbs:
The key phrase in Thompson's answer is this one: "I do not believe that the federal government ought to be involved in that process." That sentence is the summary of all he says next, and shows he is opposed to Roe v. Wade, which represented the federalization of what had been a state-level issue.

He then says he is opposed to federal funding for abortion and supports the states' right to regulate abortion - both are federalist and pro-life positions - and he opposes the federal government criminalizing abortion. Again, a federalist answer.

Thompson's entire answer is a very "federalist" - he believes abortion policy should be a matter for states rather than the federal government.

I'm really concerned that there will be some who believe that their position is the only pro-life position and those of use who support the states taking over this issue are pro-choice. That certainly is not the case as far as I'm concerned. You will not make me wear a label that is not mine and I doubt you will get Thompson to do it as well. Fred Thompson voted consistently for life while in the Senate. That's good enough for me. But for those who are concerned think about this: would a federalist actually put a judge on the bench that would uphold Roe v. Wade? Of course not!