Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Some further thoughts on the Carnage at Virginia Tech

What I wrote yesterday about this heinous act was my first response. I guess I'm the type of person who wants to know what happened and then to make sure it never happens again. I thought about the parents of the students that were shot and thought about how I would feel if I were them. It scared me because I have a 15 year-old and we are going to have to think about these issues when we start looking at colleges (though until yesterday I didn't know that I would have to add to my questions, "How do you train the students to react to a guy with a gun?")

I brought up the gun issue because it had been the focus of a story on ABCNews. I responded to it because I truly believe that the response to the situation should have been a trained student body (and get what I'm saying here, kids who've been through training to teach them how to protect themselves properly and that would include training with a hand gun).

So, you guys got my take on this situation and I was pretty honest with you. You got my experience which really isn't open to debate. You want to criticize me? Go ahead but I won't be debating how I reacted to the situation.

Here is a list of victims from yesterday. Here is an article about a 75 year old teacher from Israel who was trying to protect his kids (I know that they are college age and therefore adults but I still think of them as kids):

Librescu, 75, immigrated to Israel from formerly communist Romania more than 25 years ago. He later moved to the U.S. and became a lecturer at Virginia Tech's Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics. He had been teaching there for 20 years.

A Holocaust survivor, Librescu died on the same day that Israel was marking Holocaust Martyrs and Heroes Remembrance Day.

A brilliant scientist, Librescu didn't even have a drivers' license because research was everything for him, said Tel Aviv University Professor Jacob Aboudi. He never paid attention to luxuries, Aboudi said in a telephone interview. "He cared about the students."

A student in Librescu's class, Alec Calhoun, told the Associated Press that Librescu's class heard a "thunderous sound" from the classroom next door as the gunfire erupted on Monday.

Calhoun was among those who jumped out of a second floor window. Before he leapt, he said, he turned around and saw Librescu attempting to block the door. He was shot and killed.
Please join me in praying for the family and friends of the victims and for the parents of the shooter as well, they must be devastated by what their son did.