Thursday, June 07, 2007

Trent Lott epitomizes what's wrong with the Republican party

Hugh Hewitt has the audio evidence against Trent Lott. Go listen because you will not believe it. It's sickening.

First he tells his constitutes to trust him because he knows what he's doing:

Now we are going to pick it to death. I just don't think this is responsible. I am getting calls, but I would say to my constituents, "Do you ahve no faith in me after 35 years? That I'm just going to buy a pig in a poke here? Or be for something that's bad?..."
Then he knocks those in the Senate who are trying to protect the party and the nation against this attack on our sovereignty and our security by the Senate:
If anybody in America likes where we are with illegal immigration and legal immigration, if they think what we've got now is good or tolerable, fair or responsible, then fine. Let's try and kill this bill. Kill it with amendments. Kill it with the debate. Vote it down. I don't think that is respobnsible.

[...]

This is time where we are going to see whether we are a United States Senate anymore. Are we men or mice? Are we going to slither away from this issue and hope for some epiphany to happen? No. Let's, let's let's legislate. Let's vote. I think the majority leader has a right to expect at some point we end it. Try and cover as many objections with as many amendments as we can. But at some point we have got to get this done..
(A rat comes to mind, Senator.)

Then he says that the majority has the right to expect a vote after he sat in the Senate for years as the Democrats blocked bill after bill and judge after judge:
This is time where we are going to see whether we are a United States Senate anymore. Are we men or mice? Are we going to slither away from this issue and hope for some epiphany to happen? No. Let's, let's let's legislate. Let's vote. I think the majority leader has a right to expect at some point we end it. Try and cover as many objections with as many amendments as we can. But at some point we have got to get this done.
And then he praises Sen. Kennedy:
Senator Kennedy, I appreciate the legislative leadership you have been providing. I know it is not easy, you know, and your own colleagues and those of us over here have been beating you up. I mean, your a nice poster child. Thank you very much for what you do. But I'll tell you one thing I have learned the hard way. When it comes to legislating, when you are dealing with Senator Kennedy, you had better bring your lunch, because you are going to get educated, you are going to learn a lot, and you are going to get a result. Hopefully it is going to be a good one. Good luck, senator from Massachusetts. I yield the floor.
And Kennedy pats Lott on the head in response:
And the senator too. I thank my friend from Mississippi, and I commend him for a constructive and a positive attitude.
The problem with the Senate? Arrogance!

The Senate Republicans are determined to kill the Republican party. They don't get it because the sound of their own voice is drowning out the cries from their base. When they start seeing one after the other of them losing their seats, maybe they'll finally realize it but by then it's too late.