Sunday, December 02, 2007

The religious right don't want atheists to see "The Golden Compass?"

That doesn't sound right, does it?

Take a Stand Against Censorship! Go see “The Golden Compass” at a movie theater near you.

Because the religious right doesn’t want you to see it. And some media commentators are saying that that’s reason enough.
Let's check for ourselves:
The Catholic League wants Christians to stay away from this movie precisely because it knows that the film is bait for the books: unsuspecting parents who take their children to see the movie may be impelled to buy the three books as a Christmas present. And no parent who wants to bring their children up in the faith will want any part of these books.
No, it doesn't look like they've mentioned the atheists. I wonder if free-thinking atheists will be dubbed into going to see a kids' movies because they were mislead.

I'm actually going to see it when my finals are done (I'm not into boycotts and my daughters would not read the trilogy), I'll be going alone since it's PG-13. I want to see if I can tell if it's anti-Christian. I'll tell you what I find out.