Monday, December 31, 2007

Huckabee says Romney owes him apology

Demanding an apology from a candidate for their negative ads is not the smartest thing to do when you have a reputation for being thin-skinned and irritable:

Mike Huckabee told me Sunday that Mitt Romney should apologize for saying “blatantly untrue” things about him.

Huckabee also said such an apology would be accepted only if Romney also admitted that he “has not been forthcoming” about his own record.

[...]

“I believe I am still being positive,” Huckabee said. “I am not being negative. I’m responding to dishonest attacks.”

Romney spokesman Kevin Madden told me Romney would not apologize to Huckabee and dismissed his comments as a sign of “testiness and irritability.”

He said that Huckabee was indulging in “distortions and evasions” and that “Gov. Huckabee’s reaction is emblematic of somebody whose record is not holding up under scrutiny.”