Monday, December 03, 2007

Thompson doesn't express his religious beliefs enough

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! That's what this race has become.

Republican presidential hopeful Fred Thompson Monday said he didn't need to apologize for his faith, despite concerns from Christian conservatives that he does not express his religious beliefs enough on the campaign trail.

"As far as faith is concerned, I have not made any secret as to where I am. I am a Christian," Thompson said, noting that, while he does not attend church while at home in McLean, Virginia, he does attend church with his mother when he visits in Tennessee. "I have no apologies to make about my religion or my relationship to Jesus Christ or God."

In a column in USA Today Monday, David Domke, a University of Washington journalism professor, said Thompson has not done better in the polls because "he lacks a religious niche" and "Christian conservatives have not been amused or enthused" by his lack of church attendance and the few times he has talked of his faith on the campaign trail.

Thompson dismissed those comments, saying "I'm OK with the Lord, and the Lord is OK with me, as far as I can tell."
I'm amazed that the Republicans want a religious test for their presidential candidate. How many times can a candidate miss church before they risk losing the nomination? Do conservative Christians really want to go down this road? Do they really want a theocracy? Count me out if that's where you guys are going, I'm already in a theocracy:
John 18:36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world."

Colossians 1:13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son
If I were an atheist, Muslim or Jewish, I wouldn't think the Republican party welcomed my participation. Why would these citizens care how many times Thompson went to church? Why should we?