Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Rowlings Will Be Killing Two of Her Characters

It better not be Harry Potter or Sarah is going to really upset:

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."
Read the rest here.

I wasn't going to let Sarah read the Harry Potter series because I heard that they were very dark but then I read this and at the same time Sarah's Civic's teacher recommended that the class read the series because it had Christian themes. I'm glad I let her read it because she has really enjoyed the series. She finished all the books in about a week (she is a much faster reader than Mommy). She is really going to be bummed if Harry is killed off, along with millions of other kids and adults. I bet she doesn't do it.