Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thompson supported Chafee!!!

I'm shocked! Absolutely shocked that a Republican Senator would support a fellow Republican Senator for re-election:

The Brody File is in constant research mode. For all you Fred Thompson fans out there, grab a seat. Pause your TIVO episodes of Law and Order. Put on hold those portraits you've ordered of Fred Thompson and Ronald Reagan side by side in your living room. I've discovered that when socially liberal bad boy Republican Senator Lincoln Chafee was running for re-election in 2006, Fred Thompson campaigned for him and came to his defense. Here's the money quote:

"There are a lot of reasons I support Linc. We agree on most issues, disagree on some. Obviously, keeping control of the Senate is very important. I don't like the sound of 'Chairman Kennedy.' "

He agrees with Chafee on most issues? The last time I checked Chafee was pretty much off the reservation on most Republican talking points: immigration, taxes, Iraq war, traditional marriage, abortion. Shall I go on? I mean I get it. Thompson believes keeping Republicans in control of the Senate is the key. You know, it's all about the party. There's something to be said for that but I keep getting back to that line, "agree on most issues". That may be hard to stomach for Thompson fans who believe he's the true conservative choice if he runs.
OK, so I shouldn't vote for him because of this? Does it mean he's less conservative? What does that make Rick Santorum? Didn't he support Spector? What about Thompson's voting record? Isn't that the true test whether he's conservative or not?

Listen we could play this game for every candidate: Prove to me that you are conservative enough to be my candidate. And then dig up all the stupid things they said and did that would make us suspect that they aren't a true conservative (I'm sure you would find plenty on Newt). Sorry but no candidate is perfect and I could care less that Thompson supported a colleague. Now, if he were out campaigning for Kennedy, that would be different story.