Saturday, October 27, 2007

Brian McLaren, Songwriter

So, Brian McLaren has written some songs of praise to be used in worship services. Here's a video explaining the concept and the thought behind each of the songs.


I commend him for his desire to broaden the scope of Christian praise music to include current events -- he wrote songs that are relevant to Christians today. I like that he's taken themes like kindness, justice, and the poor (it's a song of prayer for the rich and the poor) and made them into songs. These are themes that the Christian should focus on and contemplate what they look like in their own life. Though this one is a little wacky he appears to be confirming that God is sovereign over all. And this one is a song that I would love to sing in church because it's so Christ centered and this one is pretty good too.

Some of the songs are gratuitous and I probably wouldn't bother singing it if the music director forced it on us and I totally don't agree with this one.

Here's the video of one of his more controversial songs. He's using "atheist" in a similar way that the Roman government did when Christians refused to worship Caesar:


Knowing that McClaren has problems with the doctrines of grace I would have a problem with this caricature of it and wouldn't want to sing it during the service:
I am an atheist when it comes to the view of the chosen few, who judge and condemn
all who differ them.
What we really believe in is a chosen multitude and the truthfulness of word of God:
Ephesians 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Revelation 7:9 After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands
BTW, I have a suggestion for those who intend to sing these songs in worship, don't repeat these stanzas as many times as suggested:
I can’t believe what they believe but I believe in you (4X)
I can’t believe what they believe but I believe in you (4X)
Too repetitive!