Thursday, November 15, 2007

Glassbooth.org

If you are having trouble finding a candidate, you can let a website pick one for you:

If you pick your presidential candidate by issue, there’s a new tool in the online toolbox for you: Glassbooth.org.

After you click a few times to indicate where you stand on matters from the Iraq war to abortion, the site will come up with the candidate who most closely matches your views. You can read a bit more about their positions and you can also see how closely the views of other candidates match yours.
Last time I tried one of these websites, it picked Huckabee. I don't think the website got the fact that I'm looking for a president who doesn't look for government to solve our problems or who is willing to raise taxes instead of cutting spending.

And this one is even worse. The candidate that they believe best matched my issues was...wait for it....it's really funny....McCain! Can you believe it? Oh. My. Heck! Are they for real? What kind of match is this?

Abortion and Birth Control very similar find out why
Trade and Economics very similar find out why
Iraq and Foreign Policy very similar find out why
Gun Control very similar find out why
Taxes and Budget very similar find out why
Civil Liberties and Domestic Security similar find out why
Crime and Punishment similar find out why
Social Security similar find out why
Immigration very different find out why

With Tancredo and Guiliani as my number 2 and 3.

So I tried it again with more emphasis on the abortion and illegal immigration issues and I, of course, got Huckabee:

Trade and Economics very similar find out why
Gun Control very similar find out why
Iraq and Foreign Policy very similar find out why
Taxes and Budget similar find out why
Crime and Punishment similar find out why
Abortion and Birth Control similar find out why
Immigration different find out why
Social Security different find out why

With Tancredo and Hunter as 2nd and 3nd choice.

So, I weighted it for a stronger emphasis on taxes and abortion and got...Duncan Hunter

Immigration very similar find out why
Abortion and Birth Control very similar find out why
Gun Control very similar find out why
Taxes and Budget very similar find out why
Iraq and Foreign Policy similar find out why
Trade and Economics similar find out why
Social Security different find out why

BTW, his trade and economics position is not similar to my position because I'm for unrestricted free-trade and he is not.

McCain was second and Tancredo was third. As you can see the candidate that I think must closely matches my position is Thompson, yet he was never a possibility as far as this tool was concerned. Is it rigged against him? Let me know if you get him as a possibility.