Tuesday, April 25, 2006

School and...everything else

I am praising the Lord right now, because I don't have any homework!!

Housework yes, homework, no.

Late Monday morning (1:45 a.m.), I *finally* finished my paper for my Political Science class.
(I had to write a minimum 7 page book review--I read Tony Blankley's new book--I highly recommend it!).

The paper was due in class that morning. Needless to say, I got to bed around 2 a.m. --mind racing--had thoughts of "woulda, coulda, shoulda" about word choice and syntax. So, when 6 a.m. came around--I was exhausted.

I know that the Lord has called me to attend college...it has always been a desire for me to go.

Growing up in my house, higher education was not a priority for my working class parents. Their thinking was-when you graduate high school-you get a job. And I did, I worked on Wall Street for 11 years, met a wonderful man, got married, left my job when I got pregnant with my first child. My husband and I agreed that I would stay home with the children ( I now have 3 beautiful daughters). My dream of going to college was just a dream, I thought "one day" I will go. Well that "one day" came last September. My youngest is in 1st grade now, so I started taking classes at our local community college.

God is sovereign and His timing is perfect, so I trust that where I am right now is where I should be.

The thing is, in terms of my homework, I never factored in how hard it would be to accomplish it. In just this semester alone--with just two classes (English I and Intro to Political Science) I will have written 8 essays (1 mid-term and final), 1 research paper, 1 book review, and a summary of the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". I think I'm getting carpal tunnel from sitting at the computer for so long...

I'm not complaining. The thing the Lord keeps reminding about is this:
Just because I've called you to do something, doesn't mean it is going to be easy.

Just because it's hard and is not peaceful, doesn't mean that I should take it as a "sign" that I should quit school.

Peace is not tranquility. Jonah had a "peaceful" sleep in the boat, while running away from God [Jonah 1:5]. That's a false sense of peace. I'm talking about the "peace of God, which surpasses all understanding...[Phillipians 4:7]. To the world (family, well meaning friends) it does not make sense that I would inflict myself with the burden of school, but I am "confident that He who has begun a good work in [me] will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ"[Phillipian 1:6].