Thursday, May 10, 2007

Anti-God message on a Starbucks cup

I didn't even notice that there are quotes on the cups, who the heck reads their cup of tea (I don't drink coffee). Well, this woman did and found this:

"Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure."

According to the article it's a quote from a customer of Starbuck. They accept quotes for their coffee cups at their website.

Elizabeth of A Biblical Home reports that they have also printed a Rick Warren quote and she summited a C. S. Lewis quote. Maybe we should all go over there and submit God glorifying quotes that will counter the atheist ones. Something a little more hopeful than looking inside myself for the answer.

If I'm going through major upheavals in my life, the last place I want to look is inside myself because all I would find was panic and despair. I thank the merciful God in heaven that I can look outside myself to him to get me through the times that are filled with hopelessness and panic. Comforting me and helping me see how this too can be used by him to conform me to the image of his Son (Romans 8:29). That all that I go through is for my benefit, so that I may fellowship in the suffering of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:10 ). I can rest in the knowledge that nothing will ever separate me from the love of God (Romans 8:35-39) and that he promises to never leave me or forsake me (Hebrews 13:5). Why would I want to look inside myself since I would never find that kind of love and comfort?

Tags: