Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Parenting Eye-Opener

We have three daughters. Two are teenagers (sigh) who are growing up so fast.

Every now and then I get hit up side the head (not literally) with something I should know by now as a parent. I admit at times, that I kinda fall asleep behind the wheel of parenting. It is definitely not intentional. Let me change metaphors here, I liken it to being lulled to sleep in a boat that is gently gliding along a peaceful river, only to wake up and discover that you are about to enter some fierce rapids. All of a sudden you jerk awake and realize how close to danger you have allowed yourself to get (parently speaking).

Such is what I discovered this afternoon when we (my girls and I) got home from school. The end of the year is approaching and we are all kind of weary. We pray nightly that we persevere strongly to the last day of school; academically for them, for me in commuting them the 40 miles a day.

My husband and I made the decision to send our girls to a Christian school when our oldest was entering 7th grade. No, it is not convienient or cheap but the sacrifice is definitely worth it.

I should insert a disclaimer here because I don't want anyone to think that we have abdicated our children's education solely to their teachers. But I must confess, the 3 years that they have been in the school I have become relaxed about teaching them the bible. Now it is part of their educational curriculum; whereas when they were in public school I was much more diligent.

Today I found out that my 13 year old is failing bible. That's right, failing bible in a Christian school! I was livid. My parenting indignation was fomenting! Is this why we are sending her to a Christian school so she can *not* learn the bible? She is studying the Old Testament and she said it is boring. God's word, boring. Okay, I know the O.T. can be hard to understand unless you see scripture as one story, and that is the story of redemption.

The bottom line is, she needs to take responsibility for her lazy learning attitude and I need to take back the responsibility of teaching her about our Christian faith. That is my (our) job as parents, not the school. I realized I had become complacent about explaining biblical truth and doctrine to her. Complacent about teaching her the what's and why's of the Christian faith.

Thank you God, for in your providence you have opened my eyes to my lack of diligence in teaching my daughters your Word. Thank you for the gift of forgiveness.

Thank you for bringing me back to Deuteronomy 6:5-7,

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.