Sunday, April 09, 2006

Things I've learned since I started blogging

1. I know now why people can't stand blogger

  • Pictures say that they're loaded and aren't
  • Pictures suddenly disappearing from posts
  • Posts disappearing and then reappearing
  • No trackbacks
  • Templates stink
  • The editor doesn't have an undo button and it really, really needs one (really)
2. I know now why people who can't stand blogger stay with blogger
  • It took me forever to get us on these blogrolls, how long do you think it would take for me to get our address changed.
  • What about all the people who link to us now (all three of them and one of them is on hiatus)
3. This is a lot of hard work.
  • Not just the writing part but the finding clip art and such.
  • Tweaking the template.
  • Figuring out how to use all the little trinkets that are out there for your web and then installing them in your template.
  • Responding to comments
  • Writing material in such a way that it can be read independently by someone using google. This is time consuming, I have been putting off doing this. It may mean writing a summary post and linking to all the other articles together. This is more of a concern for my other blog than this one.
4. People tell you they are reading your blog but they are not (this one makes me the most bitter)
  • Sometimes you feel like you are talking to an empty room and friends reinforce that feeling.
5. This is not really a good environment for a control freak who has the added problem of being insecure.

6. I have a new respect for those who can do this and have a life as well :-).

7. I really am a workaholic.

8. Firefox is the best browser to view blogs. This blog looks sooooo much better in Firefox than in Explorer. And it has all kinds of fun plugins. I'm going to write a post about this later in the week.

9. There are some really incredibly nice people on the Internet who have been very generous with their support and encouragement (not to mention their linking to us :-).

10. I've learned that you have to be incredibly careful about what I write because you don't know who is reading.

11. And related to that, I have to be incredibly careful about what I write because my words could adversely affect how people view Christ and His people. You may only get one shot at someone, they might not read your apology, revised opinion or your further explanation. Being careful with the original post is the most important step in the process.

12. Never change your template after 12:30 am. You may delete something you might need :-)

13. It might not be a good idea (for grammar's sake) to post after 12:30 am, as well.

I'm probably forgetting some but I will no doubt be updating this list as I blog. I'm here to stay (Lord willing) until I've accomplish my goal.

Updated to add: more things I learned.