Monday, June 05, 2006

Why I like Jack Nicklaus

The game of golf is on the verge of ground breaking history.

Because...

Michelle Wie is 36 holes away from authoring gender-bending history.
The 16-year-old female phenom has the ultimate date with destiny today at Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit, N.J., as she attempts to become the first woman in history to qualify for a men's major golf championship.

She gets a lot of flack from men golfers because they feel she should just compete on the women's tour but Jack Nicklaus thinks differently.

"I always felt if anybody had golf clubs and was able to qualify and eligible to play in a golf tournament, they can certainly tee it up," Jack Nicklaus said earlier this week at his Memorial Tournament. "I don't care if that's a man, woman or child.

"If Michelle Wie has the desire to come play and she has the ability to qualify for the U.S. Open, fantastic. I think it would be wonderful for the game of golf. ... If she can qualify, I'm going to root for her 100 percent."

I applaud him for coming out and supporting her. It is not that she is trying to be the first woman to qualify for the US Open; no it is the fact that her golf game is that good. If she can hit the ball as good as the men, why shouldn't she be allowed to play?

I hope she makes it.

*Update* She didn't make it, but then again, she is only 16...she'll be back.