Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wal-Mart returns to "Merry Christmas"

I remember last year when people were upset because sales clerks weren't saying "Merry Christmas" and I thought it was silly. I could care less what the clerk says to me, just give me my correct change, that's all I want at the end of a transaction. But Wal-Mart has learned its lesson: don't mess with a popular holiday whether we live in a pluralistic society or not.

Wal-Mart, in an apparent attempt to soothe the ruffled feathers of its most conservative customers, announced that it will make this a "Merry Christmas," not a "Happy Holiday."

The giant retailer announced Thursday that the words 'Christmas' and 'value' will dominate its U.S. marketing and in-store initiatives in 2006.

"This year, more than ever, our shoppers will see and hear more about Christmas and the incredible values Wal-Mart is providing for their holiday shopping needs," said John Fleming, executive vice president of marketing. "Our prices will allow our customers to be smart shoppers and celebrate even more."
There are two words that go together, "Christmas" and "value."

Tags: