Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What the heck do you think Christmas means?

It really is not right that I had to sit in a library all day, trying not to panic that my paper is due on Thursday with only two pages written and not a clue what I was going to write, while this was going on. I know I'm late on commenting (that certainly hasn't stopped me in the past) but I can't believe that they wouldn't allow a movie about the birth of Christ to be sponsor of a Christmas bazaar. It makes absolutely no sense.

A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.

[...]

"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.
(via)

Here's a link to the website for the event. Everyone going to this event knows that it's about the birth of Christ. You can pretend that it's about Santa all you want but when it comes down to it, there would be no Christmas without Jesus.

(via)

Is it the Mayor's intention to drive off customers? Just ask Wal-Mart why they are saying, "Merry Christmas" this year.

BTW, for those of you who may be concerned about the paper, I did have a breakthrough and am now up seven pages (thank you, God) and I know what I'm going to write about. So, I better get back to it.