Thursday, February 22, 2007

This is why I don't publish too much information about myself

Too many insane people out there with nothing better to do than try to kick your rear because you aren't swayed by their persuasive arguments online. They want to try to intimidate you into shutting up because they don't like what you have to say:

A Fredericksburg man was arrested Saturday on charges he assaulted three strangers at their home during a dispute over politics, police said. According to a Fredericksburg police report, the suspect went to a home in the 900 block of Marye Street about 5:30 p.m. after finding one of the resident's name on a Republican Web site.

[...]

The suspect refused to leave the home after repeatedly being asked to do so, police
said. The three roommates were hit multiple times each as they attempted to get the suspect out of the door, authorities said. The suspect continued to be aggressive and disorderly even after a city police officer arrived, the report states. Andrew Stone, 23, was charged with three counts of assault and battery.
The college student emailed Michelle Malkin the rest of the story:
At this point, Stone politely stood up, shook my hand, and told me that he had found my address on facebook. He asked if I was a College Republican as it said on my account, I told him yes. He then asked me "Oh, so that means you support the war, right?" and I responded with a yes. He then said that since I was for the war, if I was interested in signing up for the army. At this point I was sure he was a recruiter, and I told him that I'd definitely look into it as soon as I graduate (I'm a junior political science/econ major right now at UMW). This is where something changed in his eyes and he started getting aggressive. He took a step towards me and said that I support the war, yet don't want to fight in it.

At this point my roommate, Matt, stepped into the room and told him he was being disrespectful, and that it was time to leave. I told Matt that I could handle the guy (I've gotten into debates like this before). Stone responded to Matt by saying that "I'm not done talking to your roommate, he's a p* [edited for profanity] and can't back up anything he believes in". At this point I, not politely, told him to leave our house. He refused, saying he was not done talking with us. He threw the military literature he had at me, which turned out to be United States Air Force literature. He said that I would never make it in the army and that was why he brought over USAF literature
They tried to get him to leave by pushing him out the door but he started to beat them up. They got him out the door and incredibly he waited there until the police showed up. Then they discovered they hadn't been his only target:
Later that day we found a list of names on the front porch, complete with addresses, boys and girls, all members of the college Republicans. I was 9th on the list. I contacted a few of the people on the list and only one had received a visit from this guy, and they hadn't even answered the door because they knew of his affiliation and what he was coming to say. For lack of better words, we were pretty unsuspecting. His arraignment is on March 1st, and our school newspaper is doing a large investigation of his ties to other organizations on campus, etc. For now, we're all pretty scared about what this guy'll do now that he's back on the streets.
There is so much of this type of rhetoric on the Internet that you would think even the left would be bored with it by now. The whole chickenhawk thing has been done to death and was always a childish and ridiculous argument to begin with. It has been the case, throughout the history of the nation, that men and women who did not serve in the military have declared war and have been commander in chief. Clinton, the darling of the left, was a draft dodger and yet he was the commander in chief.

Those on the right are not intimidated by this type of rhetoric, we find it amusing, when we aren't bored by it's repeated use. In fact, we have embraced the name and the emblem of our blogroll is a chickenhawk:


What's amazing to me is the left doesn't see the irony in their position. They say that it's patriotic to oppose the war and to speak out against it but we aren't allowed to speak about our support of the war unless we are willing to fight in it. Since when was it freedom of speech for dissent only?

I will continue to blog about my support of the war on my blog because this is my right granted to me by my Creator and recognized by this government.