Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Straight Talk Express derailed again

McCain is stumped by a question about public funding for contraception to prevent aids in Africa. His answer left me concerned that he's taking a position (at least trying to find a position), not sharing his real views (if he even has a real view):

"I'm sure I've taken a position on it in the past," he stammered as he looked to his communications director. "I'm sure I'm opposed to government funding."

Sensing a vulnerable moment, reporters kept the questions coming. What about sex education in the schools? Should it mention contraceptives? Or only abstinence, like President Bush wants?

"I think I support the president's present policy," he said, tentatively.

More questions: Do condoms stop sexually transmitted disease?

A long pause.

A stern look.

"I've never gotten into these issues or thought much about them," he said, almost crying uncle. "Obviously, we all want to stop the spread of AIDS. Everybody wants to do that. What's the most viable way of doing that?"
Please, don't tell me what you think I want to hear, tell me what you really believe. Of course, no politician does that, do they? Case in point, what do you think Clinton (the Senator, not the ex-president) really believes about the war? I haven't a clue because she's been all over the place with her votes and her statements.

(via)

Related post:

The "Double Talk Express"