Wednesday, March 14, 2007

This sounds pretty medieval

I blog about the following comment (which is from the Pirate at Boar's Head Tavern) here and here (plus I've posted a prayer request, so go read it and pray for me :-):

A layman can offer his insights and reflections on his own life, but the task of teaching divine words with authority is simply not given to laymen. It’s one thing to relate your private opinions and experiences; it’s entirely another to presume to speak for God and to the Church, which is what goes on when you write a Bible commentary or program of church/ministry reform for publication and dissemination among Christians. And if you’re not intending to say anything but your own private opinion, you have no business speaking these things publicly. And no one can confer this office upon himself or simply assert that he has it because he is “gifted.”
Update: Welcome to the Boar's Head Tavern patrons! Isn't God so gracious to send so many people to pray for me today Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Please go check out my prayer request and pray for me. Thank you, Michael Spencer for the reinforcements. Evidently I need a lot of prayer.
Tags: , , , ,