Thursday, March 30, 2006

Working Moms

I am not trying to pick a fight here, I'm really not. I actually understand why women work after they have kids. I think it's hard to give up something you worked so hard to achieve -- I held on for two years (working part-time) before I finally gave up and gave into being a full-time stay-at-home* mom. But these quotes get to you:

"My mom works at a bank and my dad works three hours away, so my babysitter has to pick me up every day."

"Wednesday is the only day my mom can pick me up. I dream about Wednesday all week."
Read the rest here.

The author of the piece understands this struggle:

Then, my first-born child, whose mom is holding an entire book about how she has to work or she wouldn't be herself, about how a happy mom is the most important factor in a child's life, about how there is no single right decision that works for the millions of moms in America, spoke up.

"I think all moms should stay home with their children."

And once again, he reminded me of a lesson obvious since the day he was born: Motherhood is not just about moms.
I don't think there is really an easy answer. Some moms need to work and some have to work but there still needs to be a balance between kids and work. It is really hard to have it all.

*I'm a stay-at-home mother who is never home (see my profile).

(Link via SpunkyHomeSchool)

Tags: , ,