Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Works For Me Wednesday!

We eat a ton of popcorn at my house. I buy it in five pound bags! We totally love it!

When I was a little girl my family was majorly addicted to popcorn. We tried all kinds of ways to get the perfect batch: first we made it on the stove top in a pot, then we switched to the kind that used to come in a disposable pan that you could use in the fireplace or on the stove, next we bought the one that had the yellow domed lid and a little spot on top where you would stick the butter so that it could drip down! After that there was the hot air popper, which was a failure because the point was to make fat free popcorn, but you always ended up putting butter on it anyhow because that was the only way to get salt to stick! Ugh! Finally we discovered microwave popcorn. Well, I'm kind of forgetting the early days of that when people tried to pop it in a paper lunch bag, but I digress. We soon learned the wonders of commercial microwave popcorn.
My. Oh. My.
It became the standard.

Now in recent years I've become more health conscious, but I still love my popcorn. I didn't want the high sodium content and partially hydrogenated fats found in those nifty little bags, so I decided to start popping my own corn on the stove again.

But guess what? Instead of returning to the shaking of the pot I have discovered the Whirly Pop. It is just wonderful!! The Whirly Pop is shaped like a pot, but it has a handle which spins two little arms inside that keep the kernels jumping around and helps to keep the popcorn from sticking.

My popcorn is fluffy and yummy in no time flat! So now I swear by this device. I don't usually like to waste my cramped storage space with single-use items, but this thing has earned its spot in my wee little kitchen.