Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Belated Mother's Day and the Da Vinci Code

I went to my sister's house yesterday to celebrate a belated Mother's Day. My mom's knee was hurting her so she was cranky and yelled at me and I was cranky because I was still not feeling well. But my sister had a great meal and we had fun anyway.

My sister loaned me the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Usually I would have read Angels & Demons first but I want to see the movie, so I'm reading them out of order (though this really bugs me). I'll let you know what I think.

Speaking of the Da Vinci code, I thought I would link to a positive review of the movie. You hear so many critics complain about the movie but here is a review by a fan of the book who liked the movie. And in her review she states that she can see why Christians have a problem with it:

I know now why the devout are so 'up in arms' over this work? Why? Because it's so convincingly done. Yes, it IS possible that this story could work itself out to be somewhat factual. Maybe, maybe not. I know since we've read the book, we have had questions--a lot of questions about the gospels that AREN'T in the bible of today
And I think that this is the real issue Christians are facing, this is why Westminster created their Da Vinci Code apologetic website. But the problem is that many people won't find out the truth and will take at face value what is said in the movie and the book. Dan Brown isn't very convincing when you know the truth but many moviegoers don't know the truth. And they probably won't take the time to learn this:
Other than the four recognized gospels, there are only eleven ancient documents still in existence today that are called "gospel"... Most of the Gnostic works are rejected because they are too late to be written by the purported authors
And it looks like the Da Vinci Code might do well despite the critics (word of mouth and controversy trump bad reviews):
"This is the first big film of the summer to exceed box office expectations," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Co., Inc., which tracks box office receipts.

Dergarabedian said the movie could gross $60 million to $80 million in its opening weekend. That would easily eclipse Tom Cruise's latest offering, Paramount's "Mission: Impossible III," which fell well below expectation with $48 million on its opening weekend earlier this month.

For "Da Vinci Code," controversy around a script that suggests Jesus married and fathered a child "only served to pump up the marketplace and get moviegoers get really interested in seeing what the fuss was about," Dergarabedian said.
Technorita Tags: , , , , ,