Saturday, May 27, 2006

Graduation Present

My daughter Sarah graduates from Middle School this year and we wanted to give her something special. I told her that if she wanted a really great gift for graduation then she would not get anything for her birthday from us. I told her that she would have to trust me that I was going to get her something that she would love.

She was hesitant at first. Trusting your mom is a hard thing for a teenager to do :-). I told her that I knew what she would want and she had to trust that. I could see that she was debating whether the gamble was worth it. She eventually decided to trust me and she never wavered. I was thankful because I want her to know that I have her best interest at heart and that I do know her and would buy something she really wanted.

Sarah was smart to put her trust in me because she did get a great present that she really wanted. A laptop! She was sooooooo happy when she saw it. She cried. She kissed it. She couldn't believe that we got her a laptop. I think that the greatest gift that we got her though was that she could trust us and that we wouldn't let her down. That was my favorite part of the whole gift, that and now we don't have fights over Daddy's computer (they know enough not to ask Mommy for her computer :-).