Friday, May 19, 2006

The Homeschool-Gay Marriage Connection: real or imagined?

I just read something that really bugs me. I homeschool my children. We belong to the Home School Legal Defense Association because they offer legal representation to protect the rights of home educators around the country. Should we ever need an attorney to handle some aspect of legal problems related to our home school, we can count on the HSLDA. We also appreciate that while we may never have need of their attorneys, many others will. We see the membership fee as kind of an insurance policy. Having said that, I am really annoyed that the HSLDA has become so heavily involved in the anti-gay marriage lobby.

I have my own personal opinions about gay marriage, but I don't feel the need to share them here. My problem with HSLDA actually has nothing to do with gay marriage. My issue is that I believe that they have fabricated a connection between gay marriage and homeschooling to justify their use of HSLDA monies and influence to achieve their own goals.

They're presently backing a Bill in North Carolina that would "define marriage as being between one man and one woman." How in the world are home schoolers threatened by that one way or the other?

It's ridiculous.