Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Drudge has called it for Lamont

Bummer! Though I know this is a better scenario for the Republicans, I'm bummed that Lamont won just because this give Daily Kos his first victory.

Updated to add: I was getting my election news from this blog. He is a Democrat who decided to leave the party over this:

Well, if there’s no room in the Democratic Party for Joe Lieberman, then there’s no room in it for me.

So I’m done. I’m out. See ya later. Sayonara.

This might seem like an overreaction to a single primary result in a single state, but really, it’s just the straw that broke the donkey’s back. As I said, the Democratic Party and I have been drifting apart for some time now. I believe it began on a Tuesday morning in the fall of 2001; I can’t exactly remember the date, but let’s just say a certain catastrophic event happened which changed the world in the eyes of most people — but not of many liberals and Democrats. Oh, they were sad and mad, just like everybody else. But as the weeks and months wore on, I learned to my dismay that the far left didn’t see 9/11 as a world-changing event or a paradigm shift, but rather, just a minor historical blip that didn’t require any adjustments whatsoever to their worldview or their policy ideas. And as the months turned to years, I watched with even greater dismay as the Democratic Party establishment concluded that the best way to win elections was to drift ever closer to the poisonous views of the far left. When Dick Durbin compared American soldiers to Nazis back in 2005, I almost bid adieu to the party of FDR and JFK… almost. I started drafting a blog post much like this one, declaring that “I am no longer a Democrat,” but then thought better of it. There was still hope for the Democrats, still a possibility that the party would save itself. After all, there was still Joe Lieberman.

Well, I don’t see the point is holding out hope anymore. It’s official now: the Democrats have jumped off the cliff, and are in free fall toward a richly deserved oblivion. I’ll continue to vote for Democratic candidates when and if they’re the best for the job. I might even continue to root for a Democratic takeover of the House and Senate this November, if only to shake things up and rebuke the Republicans for their corruption, their lies and their failures. But my “default” setting in the voting booth is no longer the Democratic column. As of today, I’m an independent.

I wonder how many more Democrats will leave the party because they finally get it that the Democrats are the anti-war party and have been since McGovern.

The Washington Post has this:

The Senate primary was closely watched around the country as a barometer of antiwar sentiment that could shape the November midterm elections, particularly in Democratic-leaning states.

Beyond that, the Lieberman-Lamont contest carried implications for a Democratic Party that long has been split over national security and whose congressional leaders and prospective 2008 presidential candidates have struggled to find consensus on the war.

Does anyone believe that this will have an effect in the red states? Do people believe that the red states no longer support the war on terror and that they will kick out their congressman or Senator because of it. I wouldn't read too much into this victory except this, a pro-war Democrat will be hounded out of this party. We can't take the chance with the defense of our nation, so we all need to vote Republican in the fall.

And Yes!!! CNN is reporting that McKinney lost -- at least there are some Democrats somewhere that have a little bit of sense.

Updated again: Just thought I would add this, his mom has left the party as well:
...my mother, radical feminist ’60s flower-child, virulent anti-Bush and anti-war liberal — but also a great fan of Lieberman — is declaring her independence from the Democrats, too! She says, “I support Lieberman and I am sick of the Democratic Party and their death wish to put forth only unelectable politicians.” Unlike me, she is actively registered as a Democrat (has been since 1972), and she says she “will be changing my party affiliation tomorrow morning.” (To unaffiliated, I presume. If my mom registered as a Republican, I’m pretty sure lightning would strike her.)
Make sure you go read the rest because she even sent a letter to Dodd to tell him to back off.

You know, I was thinking about this last night (or should I say early this morning :-), that I'm this concerned about a race in a primary that's not even my state or party. This is how worried I am about us letting up on the war on terror. We don't need another clueless Senator in Washington, there are enough there already. We need someone who knows what this war is about and at least Lieberman did.