Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Images of the Christ

As a bible teacher and growing apologist, I sometimes fall into the trap of working so hard to defend and teach the scriptures that I fall short of not contemplating the work and person of Christ enough.

It's easy to get caught up in defending the faith, when maybe all God has called you to do is KNOW Christ.

After all, ALL of scripture is about Christ.

“You search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And you will not come to me, that you might have life” (John 5:39,40)
It's one thing to know the scriptures and another thing to KNOW Christ. Not that I'm claiming NOT to know Christ, I'm learning all the time. No, I mean that I don't want to get so caught up in doctrinal issues that I miss to proclaim the gospel of Christ.

Well, as I was cruising blogosphere today I discovered a biblical gem that I wanted to MAKE sure you knew about it too

It's Nathan Pitchford's Ramblings. He has a series called "Images of the Christ" that are so Christ-centered, God honoring and glorifying that you just have to read it. I found his blog through Reformation Theology.

He caused me to reflect on the magnificance of Christ and all He accomplished in fulfilling the law for me. Here is an excerpt:
Christ learned the law in the manner most suitable to our needs by virtue of the fact that he learned from the position of being under it. His was not the sort of knowledge that arrogant men display when they set themselves up as authorities over a certain field of learning, arbitrarily judging and evaluating other men from the outside, as if they were altogether superior to the substance of what they brainily discourse upon. Christ learned the law as in subjection to it. He learned it to obey it. He taught his parents the necessities of the Messianic duties, but at the same time rendered a constant and unceasing flow of subservience and obedience to them (Luke 2:51). And it is only fitting that he should have done so, because in being subject to the law, who was by nature above it, he earned its satisfaction for us who are by nature indebted to it but with no way of paying our necessary debt.

If I do nothing else for His kingdom but "proclaim the excellencies of Him who called me out of the darkness into His marvleous light" and that it is only by His righteousness that I can cry "Abba Father" then I will be satisfied.