Friday, August 04, 2006

Republican Campaign Ad for the Fall?

The editor of The New Republic, Martin Perez, was on the Hugh Hewitt show and had this to say:

HH: Well, that's okay. But in our limited time, but you're very pro-Democratic Party. And if the Democrats triumphed, we just concluded what will happen. Doesn't that make you an accomplice, ultimately, to a disastrous policy for Israel if they get what they want?

MP: Well, I...my whole...I'm not sure who I'm for in two and a half years. We don't know who the candidates will be.

HH: Do you want the Democrats to win majorities in the House or the Senate, Martin Peretz?

MP: I'm...I'm appalled by some of the people who would become head of Congressional committees.

HH: Is that a no?

MP: Uh, but I'm also appalled by some of the shenanigans...

HH: But is that...I've got five seconds. Is that a no, Martin Peretz?

MP: It's a cowardly refusal to answer.

This is truly amazing. When the liberal editor of the liberal New Republic is afraid of who will be in charge if the Democrats take over congress then you know how far out there they are. This is a great opportunity for a new campaign slogan, "Even the New Republic is appalled by who will be in charge in the fall, why take a chance? Vote Republican!"