Saturday, August 12, 2006

UN "Peace" Treaty

I guess there is something you should know about me, when I'm really upset about something happening in the news, I'll avoid it. I won't read about it, I won't talk about it and I refuse to even think about it. This is why you will probably see very few posts about illegal immigration here.

But today I plan to face the situation and blog about it anyway. What has upset me to the point of deliberate avoidance? The UN "peace" treaty. I can't believe that Israel would be dumb enough to agree to this thing and that we would vote for it. I'm really disappointed in everyone involved because I thought they had more sense than that. But I guess not.

I know that I'm not the only one upset at this stunningly stupid action:

Ehud Olmert may decide to accept the French proposal for a cease-fire and unconditional surrender to Hezbollah. That is his privilege. Olmert is a prime minister whom journalists invented, journalists protected, and whose rule journalists preserved. Now the journalists are saying run away. That's legitimate. Unwise, but legitimate.

However, one thing should be clear: If Olmert runs away now from the war he initiated, he will not be able to remain prime minister for even one more day. Chutzpah has its limits. You cannot lead an entire nation to war promising victory, produce humiliating defeat and remain in power. You cannot bury 120 Israelis in cemeteries, keep a million Israelis in shelters for a month, wear down deterrent power, bring the next war very close, and then say - oops, I made a mistake. That was not the intention. Pass me a cigar, please.

There is no mistake Ehud Olmert did not make this past month.
Hezbollah is victorious and can claim that they have beaten Israel. They can keep their arms and even increase them so that they may prepare to fight another day, probably when Iran has nukes and Israel will have to wait until it gets a real Prime Minister who knows how to fight a war. And maybe they will be blessed with an ally that is ready to help them defeat the terrorists. Maybe they will have an ally who isn't so hypocritical in it's view of terrorists (if we get hit, look out but if Israel gets hit, they have to accept it).

And what happens to the kidnapped soldiers?

(Link via Dean Barnett who's not too thrilled either and calling Olmert, Jimmy Carter)