Sunday, March 04, 2007

OK, now there's a draft Newt site

This is getting ridiculous! Can you tell we aren't happy with our choices? Newt has too much baggage and he is another "put his foot in his mouth" type of candidate. He is way too polarizing:

Newt Gingrich fared the worst by far with 64 percent saying they'd never vote for him.
There's too much leftover negative feelings from when he was in Congress, I don't think he has a shot.

But Thompson doesn't have this type of negative baggage, he's not polarizing. He's so calm and reassuring. After eight years of hatred, wouldn't it be great to have a candidate that even a liberal could like? (I'm sure a lot of liberals watch his show -- it's so much leftwing propaganda that I'm sure they're the only ones still watching.)

And the fact that he was dismissed by the beltway pundits makes me love him all the more:

ANGLE: All right, we don't have much time left. There was some talk today that Fred Thompson might get into the race. Fred Thompson, who's now on Law and Order, but a senator and a jovial fellow who's known around town is also involved in the Scooter Libby defense fund. What are the prospects of that?

KRAUTHAMMER: Look, we've had an actor in a White House, but he also was a two-term governor of the largest state in the union and quite an accomplished political thinker. In getting a guy right out of a television show -- it's not going to happen, especially in wartime.

KONDRACKE: I completely agree with that. And Fred Thompson, you know, was the chairman of the government operations committee in the Senate and basically did nothing while he was there. I mean, he doesn't have much of a record.

BARNES: There's a space for more candidates, I suppose, always, but I agree with Charles, it's -- I mean Ronald Reagan, you know, was governor, he didn't just jump from Death Valley Days right to a presidential campaign.

KRAUTHAMMER: I'd say he's finished.

(LAUGHTER)

ANGLE: There is one good thing, and that is when he -- right after he first got elected and came to Washington, he said, "I just want to say one thing. I haven't been here very long, and yesterday, I accidentally spend some of my own money."

So, at least he has a sense of humor.

And it looks like Thompson is thinking about it:
Carl Cameron of Fox News just reported on The Fox Report that former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee is at CPAC and is considering entering the 2008 Republican presidential race.
(via)

But if you have to have Newt, here's the draft Newt site (via). And if you want Thompson, there are two draft Thompson sites (one was not enough, that's the kind of groundswell he's getting). Blonde Sagacity has started a blog and a blogroll and of course draftthompson.com. (Though, I have to say the draft Newt website is really professional looking -- they kind of look like they have their act together) I put a link to both sites on my sidebar.

BTW, if Newt ever got the nomination, I would vote for him. I'm voting for the Republican no matter who it is because I believe in voting for the lesser of two evils. I know that Clinton or Obama will raise my taxes and try to implement universal health care. I certainly don't want that.