Saturday, March 03, 2007

Rudy, the absentee father

Or at least that's the picture being painted of him in the press:

Children of political candidates have long played a part in the lead-up to elections — but usually, they're smiling and waving on the campaign trial, not speaking poorly of their parents to the press.

It seems Andrew Giuliani missed the memo on how candidates' kids should behave. In an article published today, the 21-year old son of presidential candidate and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani told The New York Times about his strained relationship with his father.

[...]

Andrew Giuliani said he and his father have recently tried to reconcile after not speaking "for a decent amount of time." In the Times article, Andrew attributed their strained relationship to Nathan, saying, "There's obviously a little problem that exists between me and his wife."

According to the Times, Rudy Giuliani used to pride himself on attending all his children's events, but at some point after his marriage to Nathan in 2003 he stopped. He missed his son's graduation in 2005 and his 17-year old daughter's plays in the last 18 months.

Oh boy! It's going to be a loooong primary season. I hope these guys are ready for the flaying that they will be getting in the MSM (all except for Clinton).

I wonder if the MSM really think this stuff matters to social conservatives. I also wonder if it does matter to social conservatives. Though I'm a conservative, this kind of stuff doesn't bother me. I guess it's because I'm a Calvinist and realize that everyone is flawed and in need of a Savior. No one does good, not even one (Romans 3:12). I would think that must conservatives know that they are voting for a president, not a pastor.