Monday, April 03, 2006

Yet Another Update on the Fruit of Blogging

Here's another fruit of blogging, I have to blog in the kitchen now while my oatmeal is cooking. After the smoke detector ratted me out, my husband and I got into an argument. He kept saying that I had to do something differently that he didn't want me to burn the house down (he repeated this statement a lot). I told him that the smoke detector wouldn't let me do that because it goes off when the oatmeal burns, not the pan and what in the world could I do differently. But there was no reasoning with him and we got into a bigger fight and then he said it, the thing that you don't say to me.

"I forbid you to eat oatmeal!"
"What?"
"I forbid you to eat oatmeal!"
"You can't forbid me to eat oatmeal! That's ridiculous!"
"I forbid it!"
"Well, I'm going to eat oatmeal because that's ridiculous. You're treating me like a child." And then I stomped my feet and huffed off.

Later, when the Lord calmed my heart and reminded me what was important, I told my husband that I understood that his concern was me not burning down the house. I knew that he didn't care if I ate oatmeal or not, his concern was for the house (well and us). So I told him that to alleviate his concern I would wait in the kitchen until the oatmeal is done. But I also told him that he can't be a dictator, being head of this household doesn't mean that we live in a totalitarian regime. I would not be a very good helper if I allowed him to force me to do something against my will. If he ruled with an iron fist, power would corrupt him and that is not good for his spiritual growth and it wouldn't be good for our marriage.

But my husband understands because he is a good manager and knows (usually) how to get his point across without being overbearing. He is not a micromanager because he knows that it wouldn't work, that there would be way to many fights if he did that. He is a brilliant man who knows what it takes to lead this family and I love him very much (hi, honey).

So, here I stand cooking my oatmeal and blogging and making my husband happy (even though he's still asleep and doesn't even know it). Not because I'm forced to do it, but because love involves sacrifice.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
It's a good thing I have a laptop or I wouldn't be able to blog about this!