Saturday, March 03, 2007

The annoying thing about the Internet....

Is that no one service meets all your needs. Blogger didn't do categories (now they do but I can't use them because they can't move my blogs over to the new system) or trackbacks. So, maybe you move to Wordpress but Wordpress doesn't allow javascripts, that means you can't be on a blogroll like Blogging Chicks or Christian Blogosphere (the requirement to be on these blogrolls is to have the blogroll installed on your blog).

It's little things like that which are really annoying and you have to figure out some kludgy workaround to give them the functionality that you need. But this can take hours and you have to learn all kinds of techie stuff just to be able to get it to work.

A case in point, I just spent three hours trying to figure out who to use a Greasemonkey script to add a signature to gmail. 3 hours!!! And I only had to edit it to display my name and links to my blogs. The problem was I had to learn how to edit Greasemonkey scripts and once I finally figured that out, it worked. Very annoying. If you want to install a signature into your email, here is the script. You can add html, graphics, etc. to your gmail signature using this script.