Saturday, March 03, 2007

Shift Happens

I had published this here by accident, I meant to publish it on my other blog, Life Under the Sun. But I noticed that it remained in our RSS feed and people had attempted to access it. Sorry about that! I'm republishing it for their benefit.

When I saw this video, I felt overwhelmed by the numbers, they are staggering. We know that the Internet is this vast sea of information and sometimes you feel lost in it all. I think that's why Google is so important, it helps to cut through the trash to find the diamonds.




(via)

Hugh Hewitt had David Allen White and John Mark Reynolds on his show debating whether all this information is a good or bad thing. Go listen to the debate or read the transcript. I could see both sides but ultimately I believe that the Internet offers more good than evil.

I know there is all this great information out there, yet I spend a lot of my time reading news stories, not the classics :-) But I know that I also have a great resource in the Internet because more and more people like my Hermeneutics professor, Dr. Vern Poythress, make their articles and books available on the Internet.

I think that the Internet has the potential to be a force for good. It is the great equalizer, we all have access to the same information. I also love being able to access information that I wouldn't be able to access without the Internet. Where else could I get free mp3 files of audio books? I downloaded Piligrim's Progress to listen in the car, where I spend most of my life :-) I could also listen to the Imitation of Christ if I wanted to.

My professor, Dr. Gaffin, suggested that we read one of his papers to understand the role of Holy Spirit in the Old Testament, I found it on the Internet, here.

I think that ultimately the Internet is value neutral and that we bring our own issues with us. If we lack disciple in the real world, we'll lack it here.