Thursday, July 13, 2006

Anonymous Comments = Critical Comments

I guess this is a naive new blogger type observation but it's amazing to me how cowardly people are about making critical comments. I have to give it to Patrick, he was bold and brave enough to post under a name. It may not even have been his but at least he wasn't anonymous. It makes me respect him more.

Anonymous commenters, it is hard to take what you have to say to heart because you are not a real person to me. I just think of you as a voice calling from a dark alley and even if you say something that is not that bad (as was the case yesterday), I still look at it with suspicion because you chose to engage in public discourse under the cover of darkness. Yech, it's kind of slimy. And I have the added feeling of revulsion when I see anonymous comments because the spam bot leaves anonymous comments -- I'm having a pavlovian response to anonymous comments now. Spam or a critical comment, either way it's not good!