Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Grieving Process

The grieving process, who doesn't go through it in this life?

At one time or another, we all experience grief.

And grief can take many forms.

One aspect of grief that I have been experiencing recently is the fact that I have to leave my present church family to find another one. (I blogged about it here). The Lord has convinced me that it is the right thing to do. I accept that. I also know that this break of fellowship with some that I have come to know as family will be difficult. Some will not understand why the Lord has called our family away, some might be glad to see us go, who knows? The bottom line is, I will miss some of them. It is going to be a grieving process. I wonder if those who I may continue to have contact with, you never know who you might run into in the grocery store, will treat me differently? Many of you have probably experienced leaving a church already, this is my first time. I did not have the privilege to grow up in the "church" so right now this feels like a death to me.

And now to underscore this "death", the Lord has given my husband and I the imminent death of a close church friend. Our friend is in his last stages of cancer. His wife called me on Sunday to say that it was probably time to say good-bye to Ed. My heart is breaking. Breaking for my friend who is watching her husband slip into eternity. Breaking for her children who will never have their father attend their high school graduations or be at their weddings.

As I have been thinking about all of this, I found comfort with the fact that our Savior knows exactly what we're experiencing. He was well acquainted with grief [Isaiah 53:3] and knows exactly what death feels like.

I am seeking comfort from His Word.

"Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery"...

...Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need".
[Hebrews 2:14-15, 4:14-16 ESV].

I know firsthand the devastation of cancer, both my parents died from this disease. My Savior also knows firsthand the devastation of death, whether it be the physical death of a friend or the grief over broken fellowships I am confident that I will receive mercy and find grace in my time of need.

I hope you know that too.

Hallelujah, what a Savior.