Friday, July 14, 2006

"Geopolitical fears have sent stewing tensions to a boiling point..."

I don't know about you, but I'm very concerned about the mounting tension going on in the world right now.

Here's a fair assessment:

The breakout of tensions on several fronts in the Middle East ignited the market turmoil. Hezbollah fired two rockets from Lebanon into Israel's third-biggest city, Haifa, after Israeli forces bombed Beirut's airport and other targets.
Meanwhile, violence is heating up in Iraq and Afghanistan despite the installation of democratic governments, and the U.S. and European allies are moving to take their nuclear confrontation with Iran before the U.N. Security Council. Rebel attacks in Nigeria yesterday also raised fears of further disruptions in exports from Africa's largest oil producer.
"Geopolitical fears have sent stewing tensions to a boiling point," said John E. Silvia, chief economist with Wachovia Securities.

You can read the rest of the gloom and doom here

Violence, terrorism, rockets firing, nuclear confrontation, this is scary stuff. Are we headed for WWIII?

As a christian, how am I supposed to respond to all of this?

I found great comfort from reading Psalm 91
My Refuge and My Fortress

91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

5 You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
the Most High, who is my refuge
10 no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”
None of us knows what the outcome will be in the middle-east and the effect it will have on the rest of the world, but I can take comfort that no matter what happens to me, my heavenly Father has me secure; "under his wings".

And I have confidence that all that will come to pass has been ordained by a sovereign God because it is ultimately
21 He [that] changes times and seasons; [and] he [that] removes kings and sets up kings; (Daniel 2:21).
I may be concerned, but I am also thankful for His faithfulness!