Friday, October 27, 2006

Good News Friday

Aren't you just so tired of the doom and gloom that is reported in the news on a daily basis?
I am.

I confess, I've stopped blogging because I noticed that it was making me pretty cynical in what I was posting and thinking and quite frankly, it depressed me. All the corruption, murder and violence I read about is having a negative effect on me. Why am I lamenting about this?

It all started last week. My daughter had to bring in a current event article for her US History class. Now, the challenge was that it had to be a "good news" article. I think her teacher was tired of talking about all the recent school murders/shootings and he wanted to talk about something good for a change.

Well, it really WAS a challenge to find something good in the news to talk about. I think our media culture is fixated on the bad news because I guess they deem it more worthy than the good news. It also probably has to do with selling newspapers and television ratings, but you know what? I'm sick of it.

Our news media[s] are like the "vultures gathered around a dead corpse" [paraphrase of Matthew 24:28]; they pick at the bones of bad news as if they are eating delicious morsels but what they are doing is giving us a culture of death and despair. Well I say no more!

That's why I'd like to start Good News Fridays. I will try to post something cheerful, because let's face it, "a joyful heart is good medicine" [Proverbs 17:22] and it just might innoculate us against all the bad news out there.

So without further adieu, here is what I found for Good News Friday
(HT:Glenn Beck)



Technorati technorati tags: ,