Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Would Evangelicals Vote for a Mormon for President?

I wondered about this, Dobson says no:

A prominent and powerful evangelical Christian leader, James Dobson, said yesterday that the Mormon faith practiced by Governor Romney of Massachusetts could pose a serious obstacle if Mr. Romney makes a bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008.

"I don't believe that conservative Christians in large numbers will vote for a Mormon but that remains to be seen, I guess," Mr. Dobson said on a syndicated radio program hosted by a conservative commentator, Laura Ingraham.

But Falwell says yes:

While some Christians have denounced Mormonism as a heretical sect, not all conservative Christians agree that Mr. Romney's faith will hurt him with the religious right.

"If he's pro-life, pro-family, I don't think he'll have any problem getting the support of evangelical Christians," a founder of the Moral Majority, Rev. Jerry Falwell, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Mo. earlier this year.

I don't know about the rest of the Christians but I would vote for him. I wouldn't doubt that Dobson knows what he's talking about, though. He knows his people.

What about you guys, would you vote for a Mormon?

(Link via Kathryn Jean Lopez of The Corner)

Tags: , , , , ,